vippsupport.xerox.com    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  - Xerox FF VI Suite Forum-  Hop To Forums  FF VI Suite (VIPP)    EAN barcode font problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EAN barcode font problem
 Login/Join

posted
Two days ago I bought MB040 Type 1 EAN barcode font to use it with VI Designer. (Just to mention it an year ago I bought Code 128 font which I am using since then with no problems.) Unfortunately the new EAN font seems to not work with VI Designer.
I used the example from VIPP online help - please check the attachement to see the result of encoding 800273400024. The EAN13 transform function converts the input string 800273400024 to 8<ALCSOE=aaacec>. The problem seems to be that in the MB040 font there are symbols only for digits (0-9) and some capital letters (A-T) - check the attachement. Since there are no symbols in the font for <, =, a, c, e, > the result is obviously wrong.

Is someone using EAN font? Please share your experience with it.
A prompt answer wold be greatly appreciated since the matter is urgent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stovas,

ImageMB040_table.gif (35 Kb, 15 downloads)

Posts: 32 | Registered: 25 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just FYI.
I had several discussions with Xerox eStore (buy.xerox.com) support. It turned out that the fonts listed under Fonts -> Barcode fonts menu, may or may not work with VIPP. An year ago I purchased Code 128 font (MB021) and it's working perfectly with VIPP. On the contrary EAN font (MB040), purchased last week is not working. Actually no one knows what would be the use of those fonts...
I suppose that the fonts in Fonts -> VIPP fonts will work with VIPP, but they have only UPC and 2OF5 fonts there. If you need another barcode you are stuck. I am really confused - why there are so many barcode transform functions in VIPP while there are no fonts to support them?
Any other experience would be welcome.

posted Hide Post
We have had decent success with ID Automation fonts for barcoding applications.

They do provide samples you can download and test with before purchasing.

Xerox fonts have always been kind of hit and miss for us. For instance, we use the GNUMicr font instead of the Xerox one because it provided character spacing more inline with the documentation we had for micr lines on checks.

Posts: 217 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is obviously a MB040V missing in the VIPP fonts collection.
We will investigate why.
Meanwhile you can use MB040 with the following mapping:

/MB040forVIPP
{ 16#3C /quotedbl /exclam /numbersign
16#30 /space /space /space /space /space /space /space /space /space /space
16#41 /zero /one /two /three /four /five /six /seven /eight /nine
16#4C /A /B /C /D /E /F /G /H /I /J
16#61 /K /L /M /N /O /P /Q /R /S /T
} XGFRESDEF
[ /EAN1 (MB040.pfb) ] (MB040forVIPP) SETENCODING
/EAN1 100 SETFONT
x y MOVETO (800273400024) EAN13 SHL

Give it a try and let us know.
Note that MB040 has no standalone digits to show the country code in front of the bar code so I had to re-assign them to space.

Posts: 2736 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 04 May 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, jbouche!
Your solution works as expected - the barcode is readable and as you noted only the first digit is missing from the human readable text.

Anyway, yesterday I was sent (thanks Dave) a version of MB040 font which don't need re-encoding. It had the same problem with the missing first digit but I managed to fix it by some copy/paste of the corresponding glyphs and deleting the barcode parts. Now it performs perfectly, including the first (country code) digit.

I would definitely save your solution though - it is a great example for re-encoding fonts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stovas,

posted Hide Post
Please allow me to ask an irrelevant question. Using a EAN barcode font, I have the capacity to generate an EAN-13 barcode. But do I have to buy some data or just enter any data that I want to generate EAN-13 barcode if I want to label those barcode images on my products that will be on the market?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 17 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy some data? What do you mean? The data you can encode is limited by the capability of EAN-13. EAN-13 has three character sets (A, B, C) and it is able to encode numeric digits: 0 to 9. I found this EAN-13 font and this EAN-13 generator on Google which may be helpful. You may take a look

Posts: 1 | Registered: 29 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post